Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!

Forgive me for not blogging yesterday. I should've done it the second we finished our schoolwork, like I am doing today, but I didn't and then life happened and I never got around to it. So to recap...

Tuesday was the usual Spelling Time, phonics, grammar, math, and LEGO Science. Grammar is really starting to bore me, though the kids just love it! I've been skipping oodles of lessons. They learned a new poem that they totally didn't get, lol. They really could not grasp the concept of "opening your heart." I guess that's not a phrase I use too often. Math was a review section and Cameron did fabulously on it. While he was doing that, Cassia started writing random letters so I figured I'd give her some actual copywork to do for handwriting practice. I was way impressed with her capitals. I mean, the girl is only 4! I think we're going to have to work on her lower case letters though. ;) LEGO Science was "Wheels and Axles" which was a lot of fun, of course. And then we headed off to ballet. We got there and I realized that I hadn't grabbed the diaper bag. The diaper bag in which I keep her ballet slippers so that I don't forget them! Ugh. So we had to drive home to get them and it took us 20 minutes to go across town. Traffic sucks. And so we decided to just skip it and do a make up class on Thursday. I let her watch Barbie in The Nutcracker to make up for it and she ended up getting lots of ballet in through that.

Today it has been a little hard to get going for a number of reasons. DH is working from home so that he can take the kids Trick-or-Treating later. That always messes with our schedule. We also had to do a big "house pick up" and vacuum and such because DH's dad and his wife were supposed to stop by this afternoon. But now they're not going to because it's too inconvenient. *roll eyes* (They drove up from Southern California to the town 15 miles up the freeway from us and it's too much trouble to stop in on your way back down? OK, whatever.) And finally, I delayed our start because it's Halloween and I had to make pumpkin muffins for breakfast.

Anyway, we finally got started around 12:30 or 1:00. Phonics wasn't too bad today. For Grammar I skipped four lessons and then stopped at a picture narration. Next we reviewed the days of the week and their proper noun status. For Math we measured things in kilograms and grams. Luckily my kitchen scale is dual calibrated in oz/lbs and g/kg. We have a kids balance with metric weights, but it will only hold a couple hundred grams before tipping over (and we only have about 150 grams worth of weights). The first thing in the textbook said, "Hold a 1kg weight and notice how heavy it feels." Boy, did I have a tough time finding something that weighed a kilogram! LOL, I finally found that a can of dog food, a box of baking soda, and three 20-g weights is one kilogram. Who says I'm not organized? LOL. The kids played with the balance for a long time after the lesson was over. It used to be one of their favorite toys but it's been shelved for quite a while. Finally we did History and I read about Assyria in our History Encyclopedias. Nothing too exciting, really. Oh that reminds me, we also read Gilgamesh the King yesterday and the kids, Cameron especially, were really into it. The illustrations in this particular book are gorgeous.

And that's it from here. I hope everyone has a happy and safe Halloween. :)

3 comments:

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

wow, WTG Cassia! My 6yo can barely write his own name.

crystal said...

Jenny,
regarding "that post". They're no harder to clean than anything else. There are many web sites out there that have all kinds of useful cleaning tips. If you decide to make some and have questions just let me know! I'd be glad to help!

Paper Dali said...

Cool.

And hey that book recommendation sure looks perty perty. I'll have to check it out.

Oh, I did notice your comment. Will post the Mathopoly stuff soon. :)

Happy day!