Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Like a Vision



Have you ever seen anything sweeter? (Except perhaps your own daughter decked out in her ballet finest and her most demure expression.) Today was the last day of Cassia's 5-wk summer ballet class, so the parents were allowed in to take pictures while they got to dance around in special tutus. Here are some more pictures...

Stretching


Cassia and Miss Lauren


Practice jumps



Unfortunately my camera ran out of batteries before they got to the free-dance, which was about the most adorable thing I've ever seen. Now we have two weeks, I think, before the fall lessons begin and I am stalking the mailbox waiting for the new schedule. Yes, as a matter of fact, I am living vicariously through her ballet and gymnastics lessons.

We spent the rest of the morning doing nothing and then finally got around to school over lunch. Cameron did a two-page phonics lesson with hardly a complaint, woo hoo! This was only because he knew there was a word game coming at the end of the lesson. He said that he "loves reading games." Hmm, who woulda guessed.

We decided to delay math for science and learned about the muscular system. I read a chapter in the MPH text and then we did two short activities from the workbook. Next I brought out the Kingfisher First Human Body Encyclopedia and read a couple pages on muscles from that. We felt our muscles contract and relax and Cameron even swore he could feel them get warm as he moved them. Next, while Cameron was making a diagram of a ball-and-socket joint out of magnetic shapes for Cassia, I flipped through the Cyclopedia Anatomae and showed them some of the more impressive drawings of animals without their skin. Amazingly, even with the nudes in the book, there were no butt jokes. ;)

Somehow we all ended up out back. Cameron was riding his scooter and explaining to me which of his muscles were moving. Cassia was alternating between putting on a ballet show for me and doing my make-up (green eyeshadow, red lipstick, and purple nail polish!). Greyson was chasing them both and I was finishing up Goblet of Fire. We all agreed that math could wait until after dinner. We ate early and then after I got the table cleared, Cameron happily did two math exercises in less than 15 minutes and then rushed back outside to ride his bike a little before the sun went down. I love that flexibility. I still haven't worked in when to work with Cassia, but she doesn't seem to be suffering, so I'm not going to worry. Maybe I can work with her Saturday, Sunday, and Monday when DH is home and he and Cameron are spending Man Time together? That's something to consider.

Anyway, it was a nice day even though it was very slow moving. Somehow though, the slowness just seemed natural and easy and not like we were "behind" or any such horrid thing. Maybe we were just all so thrilled to see warm blue skies again after two days of grey skies and temperatures in the 60s (gasp!) that we wanted to enjoy it as much as possible.

2 comments:

Paper Dali said...

Aside from Essie (of course), Cassie is the most adorable ballerina ever. Seriously. And I cracked up at her demure expression. Wow, strike a pose, girlfriend. LOL

Your day sounds cool. We're getting to the Human Body, too. (Our posted notes were from a while back, so Miguel does not remember it.) It's fun, ain't it?
Huzzah for no butt jokes.

And, incidentally, no I did not hear your shrewish behavior last night. LOL That's cool that the one warning works. I just got sick, quite frankly, of being the warning lady and just always feeling like the Bad Guy, ya know? Now it's like, "Hey, you chose that behavior? Well, go see what the consequence is."

Motherhood. What a crazy adventure this is!

Jenny said...

Strike a pose is right! I said, "Show me a pretty ballet pose" and that was it. I even double checked, "That's your 'pretty' pose?" Yup. Silly girl. DH loves to imagine how many grey hairs she will give him in about 10 years. Yikes. Not thinking about that one.

And yes, one warning worked today after the LEGOS had been lost until the end of the week. We'll see how it holds up. I too am sick of always being the bad guy and I'm sick of my throat hurting from saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over.... you get the picture. No three strikes here, lol.