Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Good News...

The good news is that the reason I haven't blogged in the last couple days isn't that I was sick again. I think I've finally kicked this stupid thing. *Knock on wood.* The bad news is that the reason I haven't blogged in the last couple days is that we haven't really done much.

We didn't do school on Wednesday. In retrospect, I'm not sure why except that I procrastinated too long and then life got in the way. A friend called at around 11:00 - usually when we are gearing up for school - and told me that there was going to be a big Not Back to School party at the park day which I had finally completely given up on. They were all bringing squirt bottles and I missed my girlfriends. So, suddenly, instead of having all day we only had two hours to go to the library, the grocery store, and get Cameron's soccer gear together and ready to go. Yeah, so school didn't happen. Water fights at the park happened, lol. And then after four hours of playing at the park we had to rush off to soccer where Cameron had to run for another hour in the sun. How that boy did not fall down from exhaustion I don't know! And he still had enough energy to be an absolute maniac after dinner. (You know that obnoxious, crazy energy they get when they're over-tired?) I did get everyone in bed and reasonably quiet by 8:20 so I had time to dust off the old prenatal yoga DVD. Ouch. Squats suck. So do Kegels. 'Nuff said.

Thursday, determined to do school, I got up early and made everyone pancakes. I think I must've put Extract of Annoy into them because everyone seemed to go insane after that. No wait, they went insane before then. I was cooking pancakes and I thought the kids were playing nicely together in their bedroom. Then I hear, "Moooommmmmm, Greyson is playing in the litter box!" Turns out they were playing nicely in my room which is off limits because of the litter box! I won't describe the mess in there. Let me just say that it made Mary's toilet soup seem extraordinarily hygienic.

Then I finally get Cameron in the school room and convince Cassia that her time would be much better spent looking at the books in her room rather than the books in the school room (The last time she "read books" in the room with us, she just took all the Magic School Bus books off the shelf, spread them on the floor, and then proceeded to sing and poke Cameron repeatedly until I threw her out.) and I am met by Mr. Apathy. Let's try this Star Wars reader! I don't want to. How about this space shuttle one!! No. Oh come on, I know you can read this. No. Look at the first page: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... Can you guess what this next word is? He tries to continue looking apathetic but even he can't hide the fact that the rest of the sentence is "blast off!" I finally convinced him to read the rest of the page - which he did beautifully - but he wouldn't continue with it. So I pulled out the phonics book instead. That was met with more apathy and lack of trying and so I told him that I would NOT be playing Star Wars Monopoly with him until his schoolwork was done and done right. He finished the lesson.

Next was math. He loves math. He had three more pages to finish off the workbook. He really wanted to finish it and yet I was met with more apathy and guessing at answers. (Note to self: this always happens when we get out of the groove for a few days. No more than ONE random day off during the week!) I gave up, put the books away and stormed out of the room. Real mature, aren't I? I went to go straighten up something that Greyson had dumped out and Cameron almost instantly came to find me. He said he really, really, really wanted to finish his work and he promised to have a better attitude. I am mature enough to accept that as an apology. So he finished it off and we are on to Primary Math 2A tomorrow!

Meanwhile, Greyson decided to mix the wet dog food into the water dish. It (and he) was a lovely brown murky color and it was covering a good third of the kitchen floor. Again, 'nuff said.

Today was Thursday so we should've done Science, but since we actually missed two days of History this week and I counted the OB appointment as Science, I decided to go ahead and do History today instead. We finished up the first chapter of SOTW by flipping through some books on ancient civilizations and then Cameron drew a picture of a ceiling entry dwelling from Catal Huyuk. It was a pretty good drawing, too. I scanned it in and posted in the History Studies section.

Then we played Star Wars Monopoly. I won. Cameron kept mortgaging all his properties to buy new ones, lol. Not a good strategy, in case you were wondering. Then Greyson made about twenty more messes. I read a Raggedy Ann story to Cassia, twice. Greyson made more messes. Greyson spent a lot of time in his crib today.

Finally, everyone is in bed. I will be soon too, if I am lucky. I can't wait for the weekend.

1 comment:

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

I'm ROFL over here. I'm sorry. I know I should be more empathetic but I can't help but think how much you laughed at me last year when Matthew was the one redecorating the house with whatever grimy mess he could get his hands on! Bwaaahaaahaaaa.
(((hugs)))