Friday, March 09, 2007

Butterflies!

Before we get to the butterflies, I just have to brag about Cameron's first spelling test... 100%!! He sat down with his spelling book open to the blank pages in the back and I dictated the words to him: tub, bat, bus, see, sit, us. He didn't even hesitate. I thought, for sure, he would get stuck on see, but when I said it he got a huge smile on his face and said, "I remember that one!" I celebrated his success by putting a foil star next to every word. He added a bunch of other stickers to help celebrate too. I wanted to make a big deal about his success. I hope I'm not putting too much stress/importance on this whole "test" thing though. Hmmm. I guess I'll find out when it's too much.

Next we moved on to science. We did a page in the activity book on the chicken life cycle. First we cracked a raw egg into a bowl and then he washed his hands. We examined the different parts. He washed his hands. We talked about the special properties of egg shell and how it is strong enough to withstand a chicken sitting on it, but fragile enough for the chick to be able to break himself out. We talked about the membrane and felt its unique texture. Then he washed his hands again. We talked about the white and the yolk - it was funny, he didn't recognize the uncooked egg white. I stuck my finger in and talked about the consistency (and tried not to think about fertility, lol). He wouldn't touch it though - said it was gross and he had already washed his hands enough. Funny how some people are like that. I just wiped my hands on a towel and never thought twice about it! Anyway, then we labeled the parts of the egg in the book and numbered the growth stages.

The next page in the activity book was on the life cycle of a butterfly. We rearranged the different stages, which were labeled with letters, to form the word "changes." And then we made these.
Cameron had so much fun that he made two of them (and then washed his hands again, lol). I think the best part was that I let them glue googly eyes on them. As you can see, they really liked the eyes. (OK, you can't really see very well, but all those dots on the yellow one are eyes!) I'm sure we will end up reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar soon.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention how we started our school day today. We read! We just sat on the couch and read about 10 different fairy tales from this old 1944 book of "Nursery Tales" that I have. It started just because Cassia wanted me to read her a story and I refused to read Dora's Super Silly Fiesta one more time. But Cameron rushed over and eagerly listened to every word. We read The Country Mouse and the City Mouse; The Lion and the Mouse; The Gingerbread Boy; Chicken Licken; The Straw, the Coal, and the Bean (odd story); The Tortoise and the Hare; and The Pot That Would Not Stop Boiling (another strange one). I think I have been putting too much stock in asking the kids before we do something. I seem to have much better luck when I just say, "We're going to do X now" or just start reading a story or making some project by myself than if I ask them if they want to do something.

So there was our Friday. Nowhere special to be. Fun schooling. And I even managed to clean the kitchen and get a couple loads of laundry done.

2 comments:

G said...

I *love* the butterfly project - what a great idea! I find I have better luck too when I just say "this is what we're doing now", and homeschooling always seems to go well when we start off with story time.

Sounds like a productive day!

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

For some reason, I have an overwhelming urge to wash my hands. ;)

It's the perfect time for you to get one of those butterfly gardens so you can watch the caterpillars turn into butterflies. Target usually has them in the spring or insectlore.com will definitely have them.