Friday, July 25, 2008

Still Here!

I'm still here, just not doing much.

Wednesday we had a good school day. Cassia read extremely well in her phonics and Cameron learned about homonyms, homographs, and homophones in his. He really enjoyed the detective work of that and spent all day thinking up new ones. Grammar was reviewing abbreviations. Math was more of the same: adding for Cassia and subtracting money for Cameron. For history I read about early Rome from our history encyclopedias and then we watched the What the Ancients Knew episode on Rome. That was a really good one. Cameron was suitable impressed with all they did and was duly inspired to spend the rest of the day making Roman shields and weapons out of paper, cardboard, strapping tape, and aluminum foil. In fact, he spent the entire next day doing that too.

Thursday we didn't do any official schoolwork as I was feeling kind of under the weather but C&C spent a lot of time playing on Starfall. That site just never gets old. There was also the usual assortment of Magic Schoolbus, Zoboomafoo, and other educational type tv show (like Food Network Challenge, lol).

It's been pretty low key around here. I did have an OB appointment Wednesday morning and found out the reason I'm so stinkin' tired all the time: anemic. I should've known. I was anemic with Cameron too but I didn't even think of that this time. I thought it was just a byproduct of being on number four! I also found out that the little bugger is the wrong way around in there. His head is up by my ribs and it's getting down to the wire to convince him to turn. I'm 33 weeks today and from what I've been reading, after 34 weeks it starts getting pretty tight in there! And it looks like after 36 weeks, you're pretty much stuck with what you've got. *sigh*

The good news is that my OB said that since I have proven myself as "more than competent at vaginal births" that she would try to deliver him however he presents. She said that if it were my first, she would schedule a c-section, but there's "no reason to cut up that cute little belly if we don't have to." Phew! That is a huge relief to me. I know our old insurance would have NEVER gone for that so I am so thankful that I have found this wonderful woman who is willing to trust a woman's body to do what it is meant to do. And the more I read, the more I realize just how lucky I am to have found her. Doctors are so paranoid about lawsuits now that they take the surgery route at the first sign that things might be out of the ordinary. But from what I was reading, in the more common breech positions, delivery isn't any more complicated than a head down presentation. The hips are the same width as the head at that age and a frank breech should just slide out with nothing but some minimal hip bruising. I guess my biggest worry is if I go too far past my due date. I'm not sure if I'm more opposed to being induced before my body is ready to give up the little guy or having to have a c-section at 42 weeks because he's too big to come out butt first. At this point, I'm still hoping he'll come to his senses and turn around.

Cassia also had a check-up Wednesday morning. She's perfect, but we all knew that. ;) She's 75%ile for height and 50%ile for weight. That's been the norm for my kiddos their whole lives so it looks like they're growing pretty consistently. She also got her "Kindergarten Shots" and didn't even shed a tear. I guess after ear-piercing, that was cake. (And apparently she's psychic too because as soon as I typed that, she yelled, "Mommy! We haven't cleaned my ears yet this morning!")

Today is park day so I had better get going and actually get dressed or something. I hope everyone is well. I am very behind on my blog reading lately. Sorry - it doesn't mean that I don't love you. :)

1 comment:

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

"Cute little belly" LOL I love it - after four kids, who has a cute belly? Well, maybe you will but I definitely don't ;)