Monday, July 07, 2008

Heat sucks

Blech. I remember, back in the day, when I felt that it wasn't truly summer unless it hit 100+ degrees outside. I craved the heat. I would feel chilled in 80 degree weather, lol. Oh, the good old days. So NOT true anymore. We've got a heat wave of a week here and I am in super-bitch mode because of it. I am hot, I am grumpy, and I feel like crap - don't mess with me. Please. Even the stupid woman in the grocery store who was standing there chatting with her friend in between two checkout lines - not putting her stuff down on either - who gave me attitude like I stole her spot when I got in line (she claimed that she didn't realize there were separate lines for the two registers???) has annoyed me all day. It was such a non-issue and I totally took the high road and let her go in front of me with a smile, yet it's bugged me all day. I'm just in that kind of mood. Like I said, the heat sucks... but I'll try to limit my bitching about it as much as I can.

So let's see, where were we? Thursday... what did we do Thursday? I know we didn't do any history of the 4th of July stuff because the printer ran out of ink and I couldn't print out the cool little activity books from Enchanted Learning. I also realized that the video clip on The History Channel would not be interesting at all. (The Halloween one was way better.) I'm thinking that we didn't do much of anything. The heat was already starting to crank up at that point and it was all I could do to get the laundry done. The good news was that I was able to save a lot of energy by drying most of it outside on the line. When it's hot here, it only takes about an hour. If I alternate drying one load on the line and the next in the dryer, I can double my laundry productivity too. You may find that trivial, but I already do a heck of a lot of laundry around here. I'm really going to need to utilize all efficiency plans once we have four kids.

Friday was the Fourth and we drove out to see some relatives in central California. ALWAYS a good time there. AuntP just finished out her final year of teaching so she passed on another box of school supplies. She taught the GATE classes so she had some really cool stuff. Now I have some really cool stuff, lol. We spent a very enjoyable and relaxing weekend there (despite the 50 barking dogs and the children who would stay up until 10 or 11 and then get up at dawn *yawn*). They have air conditioning AND a pool so the heat was not an issue at all. Until the drive home. Oh man. I was doing ok until we stopped at a rest stop about halfway home. The heat hit me like a brick to the head and I spent the rest of the drive home in total misery. I laid down as soon as we got home and instantly fell asleep for about an hour. I was just wiped.

Today, after a long night's rest, we started Camp Week! We got up bright and early and took Cameron to golf camp. Then we drove to the other side of town and dropped Cassia off at ballet camp. Thankfully, her brand new ballet slippers that have been missing for two weeks were there. One of her friends from her old class was there too, T4. They were really happy to see each other but apparently got separated during the instructional part of the day because Cassia has moved up a level and T4 is still in the old class. T4 was so upset that she apparently refused to participate! Of course, she's always been a bit of a free spirit in class anyway, marching to her own drummer rather than following those pesky directions.

But during all this, Greyson and I hit the grocery store and then came home to some laundry and some quality tv time. I have this big wish list of things that I'd like to get done this week while I'm down two children, but honestly, they're only gone from 9 - 12 and I'll probably have a more productive use of my time just resting up so that I can deal with the rest of the day! Sounds pathetic, I know, but at this point I just don't care. I wasn't going to mention this, but the heat has been giving me contractions and I just don't want to risk those going anywhere. I'm 95% sure they're "nothing" because I can always pinpoint the stressor that starts them and they not any sort of regular or progressive - just annoying and exhausting - but I'm not going to risk it either. If my body says lay on the couch sipping cranberry juice and seltzer water all day, then that's what I'm going to do.

Then we go to pick Cassie up. She was disappointed that ballet camp was so much like ballet class. I'm not sure what she expected. The did a class, then snack, story, and crafts, and then more dancing. I guess she wanted more crafts and less work. I think the parents would be up in arms though paying that much for ballet camp if there wasn't a lot of ballet involved. At least I would be. We're not doing camp for daycare purposes. We're doing it for fun and learning. Cameron LOVED golf camp. In fact, he insanely loved golf camp. The first thing he said to me was, "Next year I have to do full day camp instead of half day." The full day campers get to hang out and play 9 holes in the afternoon.

We came home and had lunch then and contemplated doing schoolwork, especially since Greyson had actually fallen asleep in between picking up Cassia and Cameron and stayed asleep when I transferred him from the car to his bed. Wahoo! But we didn't do it. The kids seemed really in need of some downtime after camp and we still had to go to gymnastics! Cameron wasn't convinced he wanted to go, but I kind of made them. That was a big mistake though because there is no a/c in the gym and it was absolutely sweltering. Ugh. Kill me. The good thing though was that most people did decide to skip it so there were only two kids in Cassia's class and only three boys in Cameron's! They practically had private lessons, lol. But that really did me in for the day and I succumbed to Food Network and Link's Crossbow Training for the rest of the day. (Thank you Meesh for the recommendation!)

It's supposed to be in the 100s all week so I don't know what, if anything, will get done but we don't have much else on the agenda for the rest of the week. I have an OB appointment tomorrow during camp time and then we have Favorite Park Day on Friday, but I think that's it for commitments. Hopefully I can manage to squeeze a day or two of school in too. Think cool thoughts for me. Maybe I'll set up the pool tomorrow. Usually that's the fastest way to get the weather to cool down, lol. Blow up the pool one day and enjoy the unseasonably cool weather the rest of the week. ;)

1 comment:

G said...

I'm so sorry the heat is getting to you so much - and am crossing my fingers for cooler weather. And for your contractions to go away. I think your idea to rest while the kids are at camp is a good one.

Take care, and maybe we'll see you later in the week! And I requested next Friday off, so we'll see.