Thursday, December 13, 2007

Upgrade!

This morning's activities didn't go exactly as planned. We had a sudden (ok, I think we had 12 hours notice) visit from Comcast to upgrade our internet. So back to cable we go after three years of ever-slower DSL. It's funny how you have to just keep hopping back and forth between technologies as they improve and compete. Anyway, I'm not taking advantage of it yet - gotta wait for my tech support DH to hook us up this weekend ;) - but next week I will be able to do such amazing things as watch crazy people on YouTube without pausing to buffer first. You know, Quality of Life stuff. ;)

Actually, I saw on our tech's laptop the Comcast Customer Creed, lol. I unsuccessfully tried to find it online to accurately quote it, but it was something to the effect of "to do our best to be the ones our customers come to for the things that are most important to them." Cable TV? Internet? Phone? Sad that those are the things that are most important. What about love, family, and honor? I suppose you can use the previous three to find the latter, but still...

So while they were here working, Cameron did some work memorizing his multiplication tables with this amazing game. It's like Doom with multiplication tables (and no blood, just an ogre with a club that never really hits you). Very cool. Needless to say, he loved it. He spent over an hour trying to get the 2's down perfectly. That game is brutal too - it won't let you move on until you KNOW it. The Comcast crew (yes, they had to call in a backup team to get us installed!) finally left and we were able to hit the afternoon ballet class instead. While Cassia was in class, the boys and I ran over to K-Mart to pick up some things and look what we ran across...


Guess who wanted to rush home and do his schoolwork as quickly as possible?? LOL. So we came home he started off with Spelling Time. He got another 100% on the end of lesson test. I don't know if it's sticking or not, but he sure is enjoying it and doing really well in the short term. Phonics was an /âr/ in hair review. Cameron read really, really well. It is finally kicking in for him. Wow this has been a long journey and each little itty-bitty success has seemed so huge - but they really have been. I am almost ready to say that he is a reader. Almost. He still has to voluntarily pick up a book, but I think that may be coming soon (knock on wood). Next was Grammar where we reviewed all of the poems that we've memorized so far. Both Cameron and Cassia remembered them all - even the obscure ones that I didn't like and only spent a day or two on, lol. Math was next: a quick exercise on the three times table, backwards. (As in 3x10 = 30, -3, 3x9 = 27, -3, 3x8 = 24, -3, etc.) We finished up with the Chapter 2 workbook pages in Science. Again, I was really impressed with Cameron's comprehension of the subject and Cassia's ability to come up with obscure vocabulary words. Another thing that impressed me was how much writing and spelling Cameron chose to do while working on this. Like I said, the whole reading thing is really coming together for him. :)

And then we watched OotP. It was pretty good, but being a recent reader of the book all I can say is whooooooooooooshhhhhhhhh! WOW they sped through things! I guess you have to in order to keep it from being a 5-hour epic and I suppose they hit all the major points... but at one point my cell phone rang and I was on the phone for less than five minutes. I got back and was shocked with how much I had missed already. Dolores Umbridge was great though, but I'm disappointed that they left off her trademark black velvet hair bow. Cameron loved it. Cassia actually watched the whole thing. I'm not sure why it was PG-13? Maybe just intensity? I am really curious to see DH's reaction to it. He hasn't read the books and doesn't want to for fear of "ruining the movies." LOL. But I wonder if it will make any sense. So much is missing. He's always asking me questions about the other movies, but why did they do this and why did that happen? I tell him as best as I can but it gets confusing, lol, so I just have to tell him that if he really wants to know then he just better get busy and read the books already. That's when he stops asking questions. ;)

Nothing official on the schedule tomorrow, so it should be a nice relaxing day. Speaking of relaxing, I think it's almost time to put the kiddos to bed and jump into a nice hot bath. Mmmmmm

2 comments:

Meesh said...

I'd be interested to hear what your dh says about OoTP. I too feel like so many important things were left out- no big deal for me the reader of the books but what about all those poor people out there that haven't/won't read the books??

Congrats on your upgrade.... maybe someday we'll go to cable, DSL for a while though. We had our closests installed today, so we sort of got a untechy upgrade of sorts! Now if my cold would just finish upgrading do "done" ...

G said...

I felt the same way about OotP - a lot left out, unfortunately. My DH says exactly the same thing as yours in that he doesn't want to read the books because they will spoil the movies. Silly men.

That web site math thing looks really cool! Cyrus has finally discovered the wonders of video games, so I think he may find this interesting.