Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Holiday Party

Today was the big 4-H Holiday Party. There was LOTS of food, lots of music, lots of crafts and lots of fun. :) But first we had to do school. Cameron did a Phonics lesson on word pairs like pare/pair and hare/hair, then a Grammar lesson reviewing action verbs, then finished up the Language Arts block with Spelling Time. Next was math - one exercise on multiplying by threes - and then we ended with Science. I decided to skip the last two activities for the chapter. They were kind of lame, so I just kind of talked over the concepts in them (proving that air is matter) and then moved on to the chapter review and a couple of library books on the states of matter. Pretty routine stuff. Nothing very interesting, I suppose.

But then we went to the Holiday Party! We ate pizza and Mexican rice and black bean salad and nachos. OK, Greyson and I ate those things. The other kids had one slice of pizza and then went straight to the desserts. Three each. Gotta love a party when Mom is too busy to notice that you're taking another dessert until you've already eaten 80% of it. ;)After gorging themselves, the kids made paper reindeer with handprint antlers, origami boxes, beeswax candles, and wool angels. They decorated gingerbread houses. MomSW said that Cameron was "amazing" at that. She said that all the other kids were just trying to glop as many pieces of candy on as they could, but Cameron was doing a very precise job of it and making intricate little patterns with the candies. MomSM gathered everyone around to sing Christmas carols and Chanukah songs. They played a game where they stuck pictures of animals on their backs and went around the room asking people yes/no questions to find out who they were. Greyson would take turns running back and forth between the kitchen and the Christmas tree in the lobby and the giant American flag and the door hanging of Santa and the food table, lol. He did a lot of running. During the carols though, he was either sitting in his seat shredding the song sheets or he would run right up to MomSM and watch her with his face about two inches from her guitar, lol. He was pretty cute and VERY busy. I think we all had a good time. I spent some time talking to a couple of the moms that I wish I knew better. How does one approach that subject? "Hi X! I like you. I know our kids don't really get along, but I wish we could hang out and be girlfriends!" LOL. Maybe not.

So that was Day Two of Super Busy Week. Tomorrow we are touring a wildlife museum. We went last year and had a lot of fun, so I am really looking forward to it. Hey, I think that one or two of those moms I mentioned wanting to get to know better are going too. Maybe I'll try brushing up on my small-talk skills tonight. LOL, is there a website where you can learn that? If only I could just type conversations out and hand them to people. ;) Maybe I could try texting them. TTYL my BFFs. U R GR8.

2 comments:

Meesh said...

LOL! You are funny- and I think you are easy as pie to talk to IRL.

Sounds like it was a great party! Makes me wish we were a part of a 4H group or something- but I don't think I could add more to our plate at this point.

G said...

Geez, I don't recall THAT much trouble talking to you! I love idea of typing it all out and handing it to them, but would you also have responses to all types of questions typed out, ready to go?

I am so sorry we're missing 4H this year. Stupid job (mine that is).