Monday, January 08, 2007

What a fungi!

Yes, we read the chapter on mushrooms and micro-organisms today. I asked Cameron if he could remember what was stored in the mushroom's gills and he answered "fun-man?" Um, no. I think the word you're looking for is fungi, but that's not the word I was looking for. He tries again, "s'mores?" That would be spores and sure, close enough, lol. At least he was listening. After reading the chapter, he did a page in the Activity Book where he was to draw three mushrooms and label the cap, gills, and stalk. Luckily, I had a bag of porcinis in the fridge but I couldn't find any others outside. I wish we had read the chapter over the weekend before we went to Deer Island on Sunday. We saw at least 10 different types of mushrooms and other fungi there. But I did point them out when we saw them and talked about how they weren't plants, so hopefully they still had that mental picture. Anyway, we looked up some wild mushrooms with a Google Image search and he drew the other two from there. He did a very nice job too, if I do say so myself.

After that he did math: two pages (one exercise) of addition and subtraction. He's doing ok with it. He guesses too much, but I think part of that is because he gets a lot of right answers through simple logic and intuition. I think he thinks that whatever number pops into his head must be right, like a psychic math power or something, lol.

Cassia said she wanted to do schoolwork too. She listened to the science chapter with us but then started doing puzzles while Cameron was doing the activity and his math. He went off to play video games and she she tried to do her ETC primer, but was too distracted. We plugged away through a page and a half - with LOTS of redirection - but then she said she was done and rushed off to watch Cam play. I forgot that my New Rule was no movies or video games until EVERYONE was done with their schoolwork. I meant that so that her watching a movie wouldn't distract him, but it goes both ways. My little girl is growning up. :)

Speaking of growing up, how much dog food can a baby eat before it's a really bad thing? That little crawler is QUICK! ;)

No comments: