Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ramblings from the edge

(Which reminds me, I've been meaning to read Postcards From the Edge for years now. I should request that from the library.)

Don't worry, I'm not teetering on the brink of anything... except maybe a routine. DH is going back to work next week and will even be out of town for most of the next two weeks but I think I'll be ok. I'm feeling good. Linus is a complete angel. Here, I took this today...

...have you ever seen such an adorable pile of mush and baby chub??

I just had some random thoughts clunking around my head and felt like blogging. :) School for the last two weeks has been what I would call "School Lite." Cameron has been reading a chapter a day from a Frog and Toad book. We have both Frog and Toad Are Friends and Frog and Toad All Year from the library and he likes alternating between the two. I can't get over what great books they are and how much we are all enjoying them. For math he's been playing Timez Attack. And that "counts" as school work so that he can play video games. It's hard enough trying to keep up some sort of school routine with DH around, much less a newborn, but this is working. Next week though, I think we'll officially start the Fall Quarter. LOL, I didn't even realize that Fall was upon us until we were a couple days into the season. But that's ok. I don't think anyone will notice if we start a week late.

I was thinking about our fall quarter yesterday and I really think I want to make a big effort to study Classical Composers. I was listening to our local classical station and realized that I really do have a general sense of certain composer's styles simply from listening to Beethoven's Wig. If we made an effort - and put to use the $25 a year I'm spending on Classical Archives - then I'm sure it would be no time at all before we were all pretty Classically literate. We could easily read a composer's biography on Friday mornings, before park, and then listen to his works on the way to Favorite Park Day. What a simple way that would be to study! I know we're also going to be seeing many ballets and plays this year as well. In fact, we just watched The Royal Ballet's production of Swan Lake on DVD this morning. I was really surprised that Cassia watched the entire two hours of it in one sitting. Greyson was pretty into it too. Cameron, well, not so much but he did watch the end. Luckily we all already knew the story from watching Barbie of Swan Lake so many times.

There were some other things floating around my head that I wanted to share, but I can't seem to remember them at the moment and Cameron is wanting to play Tri-Ominos. I think I might hear Linus fussing in the other room too. He has the quietest little cry. It's so hard to hear him. :) I might post again later. Ciao, friends.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Hey I just noticed you have the same birthday routine as us now - all summer long, LOL!

Except June, we get a break in June...2 in May, 2 in July, 1 in Aug and 1 in Sept.!

He is an adorable like mushy boy! Enjoy every second!

Jenny said...

We get a June break too - May, July, August, two in Sept if you count me or three if you also count our anniversary!

When I was growing up it was a fall rush: August, Sept, Oct off then two in Nov, and my dad & Christmas in Dec.

I think it's better that way... just having a birthday "season."

G said...

Ours are all over the place... March, May, June, December... if I add in my parents & inlaws July, September, and October too.

Lucky you - you can sniff that lovely baby smell all you want. Linus is adorable! I can't imagine even trying to hs with a newborn.

There are a couple of other Frog & Toad books too: Days with Frog & Toad, and Frog & Toad Together. You guys might also enoy Owl at Home, Mouse Tales, and Mouse Soup.

Amy (Boston, MA) said...

Hi Linus! that pic makes me want to reach out and hold him!

We have birthday "seasons" as well. DH is winter, I'm spring, C is summer and B is fall! At least we don't get overwhelmed with too many at a time! :)